Friday, November 28, 2014

Music Therapy and A Song for the Holidays

For Thanksgiving this year, most of our good friends were out of town. Luckily, we were still able to have three amazing friends over for turkey and stuffing and all sorts of other Thanksgiving goodies. Two of them were brand new friends who moved here only two weeks ago!

There is something special and immediately bonding about chatting over a plate of comfort food on a special occasion. We look forward to many more meals over which we can get to know our new friends better while we continue to grow closer to longtime friends. The more the merrier!

One of our new friends shared that she trained in music therapy, so I took a moment today to read a little bit about how music therapy works. I am a newbie to all of this information, but from what I read, what many of us understand intuitively about music's ability to change our mood and even our whole day has also been proven empirically.

Music can affect both mind and body. Music therapy can change the speed of brain activity, relieve stress, lower blood pressure, and improve sleep. It can even help stroke patients in their movement recovery.

So in honor of our enjoyable Turkey Day and the start of the holiday season, I thought I would share one song that has touched me deeply, provoked emotion, and helped me relax this year.

Pentatonix competed on NBC's The Sing-Off. They, and all contestants on the show, sing a cappella, which means that their music is made with only their voices. That includes drum sounds and all - no accompanying instruments allowed! (Reminds me of my high school choir days!) After my favorite group, Afro Blue (see here and here and here), was voted off the show, I got behind Pentatonix, and they did not disappoint! I was constantly astounded by the innovative and rich sound that this group made with just five mouths. (To see them on the show, check out here and here and here. For some of their incredible a cappella work since, see hereherehere, and here.)!

And without further ado, below is the song I want to share today, Pentatonix' beautiful and touching rendition of a holiday classic, "Mary Did You Know?"


No comments:

Post a Comment